Lionsgate Bridge, Vancouver, as photographed from Vancouver Harbour.

Why did the chicken cross the road? Because his wife made him. A silly answer to a silly question, but there is a point to this. As much as I like kayaking, I am very much concerned with being out in open water without a nearby shore close at hand. It is rare that I get out into deep water, and, on this occasion, I was on a motorboat with a friend who was at the helm. I could focus on taking photographs (literally) and not be too concerned with Davy Jones' Locker flowing underneath me. I find being in a motorized vessel much more reassuring when the water is deep and the shores distant.

OK, so I am a bit of a chicken when it comes to deep water. I can, and have, kayaked out on open water where the nearest shore was at least a kilometer away. Not my bravest moment, mind you. I am sure anyone nearby would have heard me clucking. I suppose the odd feather may have even been visible. I have also been scuba diving, love to snorkel, and can swim down to the bottom of a pool or lake up to a distance of 15 feet or so. However, if you looked closely, you may spot a trail of white, extra-large eggs in my wake.

If I was to be completely honest, deep water isn't the only thing that causes me to have palpitations and nervous sweats. I am also concerned with heights. I suppose the common factor here is the location of solid ground beneath my feet. There seems to be, in my mind, a correlation between this factor and the risk of death. However, I refuse to let this control my actions. I climb twenty-four-foot ladders with relative ease, although you would be surprised how easy it is to leave dents from hand grasping on solid aluminum. I have built a couple of roofs in my time. While others may traverse the edges with the confidence of a wire-walker, my superpower is using my butt to hold onto whatever substrate it can find. Plywood, beams, 2x4's - it seems to me that butt-crack we all possess is there for a purpose.

Fear has a way of controlling life. It can be healthy, but it can also be devastating. Fear is what keeps you from hitting the line-backer football player who used a foul word in front of your girlfriend. It also keeps you away from making that girlfriend in the first place. Too little fear is dangerous and may take your life, white too much fear is injurious in its own right and will keep you from having a life. There has to be a balance.

I think it is OK to have fears, but it is necessary to control them and understand both their value and limiting potential. There is no shame in being afraid, it's what you do with them that matters.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment