Ichnumid wasp, species unknown

Wasps belong to the insect order Hymenoptera. Many people associate painful stings with this group. Wasps are not all bad insects. They don't all sting or bite, and many of them are tremendously beneficial. There are over 17,000 species of wasp worldwide; most of them do not produce mud or paper nests and do not have complicated social hierarchies. In fact, most wasp species are solitary, won't or can't sting, and are harmless.

The trouble I have with them is in identification. Have a look at the insect shown in the above photo. It is a wasp, but what kind? In the US and Canada there are over 4,000 species. There are the social insects such as wasps and hornets. There are solitary wasps that feed on nectar and pollen as adults and parasitize insects as larvae. Then there are the horntails and sawflies that add to the challenge of identification.

I first thought the wasp was a type of Odontocolon, but the ovipositor (the long, curved end projecting off the abdomen) isn't as long as I would think and it has a downward curve, which is unusual. I found some braconid wasps that look similar, but they tend to be very small, much smaller than this wasp was. I looked all over for any information that could help with its identification but came up empty. The books I have do lip service to the subject; a few species are mentioned. Websites tend to be area-specific, and none of the sites I visited gave me a better understanding that where I am currently at.

I tried the app Pictureinsect which is supposed to help identify the subject. It first suggested a true bug and then gave an alternative suggestion as a pelecinid wasp, which was better but still a significant way off. So, I did what I sometimes do when I get stumped. I turn to people who know this stuff much better than I do.

I sent an email off to the UBC entomology department. I don't expect to hear from them for a couple of days. If I do, I will add a note to this.

These are such fascinating insects. Their life cycles and parasitic preferences are amazing. Many of these wasps are not only important as pollinators, they are important in controlling pests. I just want to know what it does and is. Somehow, that really interests me.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.