Relax and enjoy the view.

This is not me, although part of who I am wishes it was. Sitting quietly, taking in the surroundings, musing softly in the quiet of mind brought about by the peace of the moment. The wonderful thing about what she is doing is that it can be done anywhere; it's all about taking the time.

The one thing that can be said about our current situation is that most of us have time on our hands. What that time looks like is very much dependent upon what you choose to do with it. I am all for productivity and have a strong work ethic, illustrated by the number of tasks about the house accomplished during the plague of 2020. What I have a hard time doing is taking in the peace about me offered by a moment or reflection. It's not that I can't, exactly, it's that I fall asleep.

It is true; give me a couple of minutes in any environment where opportunity invites contemplation of self and surroundings and I start to snore. Loudly, apparently (according to my wife who would express this last sentiment in bold, all-caps letters). My ability to go from the very picture of energy to complete lethargy is almost legendary. I can sit and watch enthralling movies for hours on end. Driving across the continent is relatively problem-free. Whether texting, processing images, or gaming, a computer can hold my interest for long bouts. Put me beside a quiet stream with birds singing and bees visiting near-by flowers and my eyes start to close.

The environment is immaterial. Waiting rooms are the perfect opportunity to exercise my guttural oscillations. These experiences tend to be short-lived as an elbow in the ribs from nearby spouse or offspring quickly bring them to a halt. Riding the bus or as a passenger only enhances the process as the gentle rocking motion lulls me into a state of slumber. A bed of grass, a hard concrete floor, a bed of nails (I can't vouch for that one); the substrate does not make a difference. As a rule of thumb, I don't fall asleep while standing, although I have to admit that I have nearly toppled over in church while singing. Sitting as an observer is deadly, as my pastor will attest to. I have always hated meetings because it doesn't take long before my eyelids start to close.

Some would take my apparent fatigue as a sign of disrespect or disinterest. Not so. I want to hear what there is to be said, it's just that I am better doing it while standing. That is unless I topple over in that position. As a teacher, I could provide instruction all day with no problem. The ability to move about, provide discourse on some topic, and keenly watch the behaviours of my wards all facilitates an alerted state. Sitting down to mark something, however, would bring the specter of sleep quickly into my realm. Before long I would be sawing logs, expressing z's, out like a light. Whatever metaphor you would care to evoke, the result would be the same.

The solution has been to vary my list of activities. Do something for ten minutes then later tasks. Repeat with another activity. Then return to the original one. I can do this all day without a problem; I just can't get too comfortable knowing what will happen next.

So, if you can, take time to relax and enjoy the view. That is, if you can, without falling asleep.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do herons and egrets belong in the same or different groups?

Harjit Bahia - Science teacher and colleague from Garibaldi died August 2, 2024

ACE - Adverse Childhood Experiences - and you.