Pitt Polder - a favourite birding and hiking site.

A bright sunny day with the promise of adventure lured me to one of my favourite birding and outdoor areas - Pitt Polder. There are three destinations here that I frequent. These include the hike around the dikes at the south end of Pitt Lake, Widgeon Creek (canoeing), and Pitt Polder Ecological Reserve. Yesterday I decided to try the ecological reserve. It had been dry and warm (for January) the last few days so the potential for mud and puddle jumping was low. Besides, I had found some wonderful birds at this location on previous visits.

The pictures above indicate the success I had with my excursion. The hike itself was about five and a half kilometers. I usually have at least one camera with me; yesterday I brought two, but even without them it would have been an awesome time. The panorama is a stitched image of six photos merged in Photoshop CC. I shot that and other landscape photos with my full-frame DSLR equipped with a 24-80 mm lens. My other camera boasted my 500 mm and was used to capture the Marsh Wren (top right).

I was torn between the bird being a Bewick's Wren or a Marsh Wren. Both have a bold white eyebrow stripe, are brown in colour, and have similar sizes and habits. The telling difference is the presence of the marking on the bird's back; Bewick's doesn't have any while the Marsh Wren does. You can just barely see the dark patch on the bird's back. Other photos I took of it are better suited for identification purposes. It doesn't quite look like the Marsh Wren you see in bird books and websites as I think it is bearing its winter plumage.

I also got some great photos of a pair of Bufflehead ducks in flight; I will post those tomorrow. I was hoping to spot a sandhill crane but was disappointed. I am always on the lookout for any birds of prey. I got some excellent photos of a bald eagle a few years ago from here with an unfortunate Coot. I saw a small hawk, possibly Merlin, on the way here.

Overall, it was a grand hike that I thoroughly enjoyed. You can be sure I will be back again sometime soon.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.