What's on your mind?

We all carry burdens. That is a non-negotiable part of the human condition. Some burdens are heavier than others; one person may be better equipped to manage a load while someone else will falter under half the strain. That's another part of the human condition; life isn't fair. We strive to treat others equally, to be fair to those we are responsible for, and to dispense blessings and chastisement in an equitable manner. Yet it is all to common too hear the cry, "That's not fair."

Consider the lady in the picture. She carries a heavy load and yet she is smiling. Put that same pot on my head and I would collapse in seconds. And I can further tell you that, for whatever short period of time that I wobbled about attempting to remain upright, I would not be smiling. Oh, I could maybe work with a small serving bowl with some bedding plants growing in a lightly-watered vermiculite laden soil, but I am not gentle nor graceful and would soon see my efforts displayed chaotically about me. Using both these images as a metaphor for the burdens we carry, I think it is safe to say that it's not fair.

As both a teacher and parent, my experiences attest to this. One child melts under a stern glance while another is emboldened by it. Two students come to class late; one is chronically so. One gets a detention while the other encouragement to be more punctual. Not everyone gets the same lunch; there may be more marshmallows in one cup of hot chocolate than another. These are all simplified ways of understanding the nature of life.

Thinking back to the picture again, we can look deeper at why the Caribbean lady can manage so effortlessly while my attempts would go viral on Youtube. She was raised with the technique; her back and spine have been conditioned to it, the supporting muscles strong and capable of endurance, and her nervous system allows her to move with poise. My experiences have not conditioned me to the task. Add to that our age difference the creeping challenges arthritis imparts to one's body and it is safe to say that it is a task I will never master. I am OK with that. I have strengths in other areas.

Here then is the crux of the matter, the essential truth held in the thoughts I am laying down with every stroke placed upon my keyboard. Each of us is different; we are equal as humans but not equal in our abilities or merits. Life isn't fair. You can complain about those differences or you can get on with life and be thankful for what you have. Do the best you can do. Be content in your situation but strive to improve yourself. Things may work out or they may fall apart. If you fall, get up and try again. Be responsible, be civil, show respect, and work hard. I am all for facilitating change when there is a blatant need for it, but not because I feel things are unfair.

The burden Covid has brought to us is not equal to everyone, people are affected disproportionatley because of a myriad of factors. Some will handle the strain well while others collapse under its tyranny. Do your part. Wear a mask. How hard is that? Keep 2 meters apart when around others not in your circle. Follow the instructions laid down by authorities; they are not there to annoy you but rather to benefit the entire community you are part of. If you are doing OK, help those who seem to be falling down. If you are falling down, seek help.

If I could create a second image to augment the first relative to my thoughts it would be of me with my serving bowl with bedding plants being beside the woman with the great aloe vera pot. She would be helping me. Not because we are equal in all things, but because she can carry her great burden while making a difference to someone else who is failing. And I would try to manage with whatever strength I possessed and the extra help provided. The great thing about this is the idea that help is there if you look for it. Give it, get it, and we will get through this thing together. Burdens were meant to be shared.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment