The right time and place.

Every person who creates art has, in their collection or memory, something that they are particularly pleased with. Of the hundreds of thousands of images I have captured over a lifetime I have a handful that fall into that category. The above photograph is one of them. The beautiful thing about it is that there has been no significant alteration or manipulation of the shot. It was as I saw it and I am thankful that I had the lucidity to capture the moment.

I was at a music jam that could be found weekly on an outdoor stage during the warm evenings of summer. I was visiting my dad and step-mother and we had gone to the event as was their custom. Such events are held as revered occasions in the hearts of many, but not mine. As the musicians played their foot-stomping sing-along songs I was meandering about the property with my camera. There were antique cars, buildings, and other memorabilia, but the thing that captured my eye was a historic log cabin.

It was the end of a beautiful summer's day; the sun was beginning its run to the horizon and the warm lighting illuminated everything it touched. The cabin's wood glowed seductively and as I approached I noticed the sun's reflection in the only window. It was beautiful; stunning in fact, and it took a moment for me to compose the image in a way that agreed with what my mind's eye had seen. Later that night, in the quiet provided by my step-mother's home, I got my first good look at what I had achieved as I played the image on my computer.

The camera was a 6 megapixel Nikon D70 that sported a Tamron 11-18 mm lens built for APS-C sized sensors. I bring this up because I want to emphasize that you don't need expensive modern equipment to obtain a good photograph. Although high-quality equipment can make a huge difference, especially in particular situations, it turns out that you can do a lot with basic camera gear and some knowledge on how to use it. Of course, having the presence of mind to click the shutter button at the right time helps a lot too.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.