Writing on Stone Provincial Park.

Eroded rocks jut upwards in exotic forms. Hawks, falcons, and a host of songbirds can be seen soaring and singing throughout the park. The wind ripples great waves across the prairie grass as though an ocean was present. And in the midst of it all, I am there, with my camera, ready to capture the moment.

The scene, recorded in 2009, seems ethereal in nature. Memories of an amazing place are brought back to life as I peruse old files. That's the beauty of taking pictures - an instant in time is frozen; forged into media to rekindle memories long forgotten.

One of the questions that has bothered me over the years I have spent taking pictures is, "What am I going to do with all these photographs?" I have, literally, hundreds of thousands of images stored on film, slide, and electronic media. Is there any purpose to them all? Why should I keep them all when a handful would be more than enough? Fortunately, I have had time to find the answers to these queries.

First off, I am compelled to take pictures. It seems part of me. I am not of the cell phone generation and don't subscribe to recording the world through selfies and video files. I photograph the beauty of the natural world because it excites me and the people I care about to aid my less-than-perfect memory.

Then there is the business prospect. I like to teach; I can use my photos to help others operate their equipment and improve the images they create. I come up with material that I think would be of interest to others and assemble books, presentations, and curriculum. When I was teaching school I ran a photography club. Before I became a teacher I worked at many a camera store and photo center. Occasionally I do studio work, commercial jobs, weddings, and events.

Times have changed; darkrooms, developer, and enlargers are relics of a by-gone era. There was always anticipation as the latent image began to appear on emulsion and paper. Although it's different, the computer now facilitates the process. The digital work-flow has its rewards as well; making cards, prints, and posts have never been so easy or rewarding.

I love to write; I don't know why as I have always been terrible at English and have struggled with a learning difficulty all my life. Photos give me context to write in. Thoughts flow and the words appear before me. Sometimes I have something to share that others may benefit from. Mostly though I find writing allows me to impart experiences and musings to those that would care to ponder them.

As I look over images I have taken and compare past and current examples of my work I find a gradual improvement. I suppose it is like any hobby; the more you practice it the better you get. It's the same with woodwork, playing an instrument, or quilting. There is just satisfaction in the process and in feeling that something has been accomplished. And maybe, just maybe, the world will be a little better because of it.

Unlike the park, which is Writing on Stone, I used to write on parchment. Since the advent of computers, I have been writing on screen. I wonder what will come next.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.