What makes a good photograph?

There is something magical about how, when looking at an image, it appeals to us; things that we identify by sight, others that excite our unconscious mind. It goes beyond those factors though in that each experince is unique; it seems insights and perspectives also affect our appreciation of it.

What is it about the above photo that you like or dislike? Can you put your thoughts into words or do you find some satisfaction with it without knowing why? There are always those landscapes which most of us find captivating. Waterfalls, historic buildings, fall colours, and mountain spectacles will always lure our eyes to feast upon the spectacle both in reality and in print. When I am out enjoying the visual bounty that our country provides there are moments when my brain cries out that a find is something that I have to capture. Such was the opportunity that presented itself while traveling in Well's Gray park this summer.

We came upon a farm that had all the elements of what makes a memorable photograph. A farm steeped in history, a quiet stream meandering through pasture, rolling hills, and an azure sky dotted with white puffs of cotton all beckoned to my camera and I. I knocked on the door of the farmhouse but found no one home; the lack of signs warning off trespassers bade that I should explore further. I could have spent hours there, which would have been unfair to my traveling companion, and so it ended up being only a brief encounter. In that short time, I did manage to obtain some remarkable images.

When I look at the above scene I notice a number of techniques that lends itself to producing an attractive image. The stream has contrasting brown banks and the water reflects the sky nicely. The angle of the descending hill on the right mirrors the stream's right bank producing a large isosceles-like triangle that points towards the building. The tree also lends itself to drawing attention to the structure. The tree and left stream bank are in thirds position. The green pasture on the far left and the blue skies above it nicely frame the scene. Subtle details in the grass, stream, and building lend themselves to further examination. Then there is the hint of modernization in the background with the small silo protruding behind the building. I find the entire scene attractive.

This is one of the reasons I encourage people to travel; it does not have to be far from home but it should expand your boundaries beyond the familiar. There is always something exciting just on the horizon. It is up to you to find it.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.