The Svendsens.

This was my dad's family back during the war years in the early forties. The center lady is my grandmother, her maiden name was Whiteside. Top left to right is Sid, Etta, Ed, and Eric (my dad). The bottom row shows Laura, Robert, Larry, and Lyle. I may have mixed a few up but am 75% sure I got them right. The only one left alive is my dad; he turned 88 this summer. My Aunt Laura passed away about a month ago and my Uncle Robert a little while before that. I feel sad for my father's sole status in the loss of all his brothers and sisters over the years. Ironically, the youngest passed away first as Uncle Larry's car was destroyed by a semi that lost control on icy Albertan roads.

My father, Eric Svendsen (senior), enjoys life in central Arizona and southern California. He is very philosophical about his sole status in that he understands death will eventually claim all of us. It is not his time yet in spite of the fact that he broke his hip a year ago and has been suffering from congestive heart failure for 8 or 9 years. The reason, I believe, is simple. He is active (walks three or four times a day when he can), dances (not as much as he used to), and is thankful for every new day that he finds himself waking up to.

In a nutshell, I think I can say that a positive attitude and keeping active are essential ingredients in living a long life. He gave up smoking when he was 45 and doesn't consume alcohol anymore, aside from the occasional beer. A fair share of luck has also come his way; at least 3 encounters with death have passed him by. Genetically, he seems to have won the lottery, not only being reasonably healthy but also by standing at a whopping 6'6" through most of his adulthood. He could reach up and put his hand flat against an eight-foot ceiling. Lastly, he has always had someone to love and love him back.

My mom (Margret Jane) died about 24 years ago. He remarried a few years after that and enjoyed a wonderful but brief 6 years with Marry. After her passing, he married Roberta, a tempest in a teapot to be sure, and they enjoyed 10 active years. Since she passed away, he lives with his good friend Janet who has a home in Southern California. They spend time in both places depending on need and whim. I think they are very happy.

I am tremendously thankful for my dad. He has been an inspiration to me on many levels. I talk to him about once a month on average and try to see him when the opportunity arises. Covid has made it difficult to continue with the lifestyle they have so enjoyed but are managing quite well in spite of it. He is happy, reasonably healthy, and living the way he wants to. I couldn't be happier for him.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment

Working out life's problems.