Beauty is only a glimpse away.

I photographed this while down in Fort Lauderdale some two and a half years ago before Covid stopped any opportunity to obtain such images. With the number of cases skyrocketing here (425 yesterday) and the numbers going off the charts elsewhere, it seems like a good idea to hunker down and stay that way until we get back to some sensible values. Unfortunately, the outcome is out of my control, other than what I can do for me and my immediate family. Wear a mask, wash hands frequently, sanitize often, and keep contacts to a minimum. But it doesn't mean I have to have a gloomy perspective on things.

I think the key here is to recognize a number of important facts. What I do affects my own life as well as those around me. There are consequences to poor choices, often with ramifications which go well beyond our ability to recognize them. Don't drink and drive. How many lives have been horribly changed by those unwilling to be responsible for their actions? Store firearms in a secure place and make sure they are not loaded and the firing pin is locked away. How many innocent lives have been wasted because of simple neglect? In our present situation, follow guidelines to keep safe and prevent transmission. How many more will die? How many more businesses will become bankrupt? Who will end up with life-long medical issues because of cellular damage caused by the rampaging virus?

I am not saying to not have a life; many would interpret the precautions to prevent transmission as a buzz-kill. I wonder if those are the same people who believe that drinking impaired is OK, that loaded firearms stowed haphazardly does not present a threat, and that Covid is both deception and conspiracy. Sadly, it is these people who end up affecting the lives of others.

Despite of the loss of freedoms, there is still a great opportunity here to enjoy life. I have found that a positive outlook on things elicits happiness while a negative viewpoint fosters depression. Each of us has issues we have to deal with; some people have tremendous challenges which they face on a daily basis. Yet I have seen joy on the faces of the afflicted because they rise above their situation. Humanity is our nature, but it does not limit our ability. We make what we can of the world around us in the hope to make and leave the world a better place. Be responsible, be safe, and be positive. Beauty is only a glimpse away.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment