... and the hunt was on.

As a teacher, I have always aspired making the classroom an interesting place and using a multi-modal paradigm to convey concepts and information. Before computers, the standard equipment was charts, overheads, and videos. Coming into the digital age was a boon for accessing media on CDs, the internet, and the amazing ability to write on the screen with a stylus. My first computer for this purpose was provided by the district; it was an HP with a wonderfully sensitive touchscreen that brought new ways to teach.

I decided to take the plunge myself and purchased a Microsoft Surface 2 (top left image). Running Windows 8.1, it allowed me to develop my own powerpoints, play short videos, and write effortlessly on the screen. I even put all my lessons on-line so that students could download assignments should they discover that the dog was happily eating the original handouts. I had a keyboard, mouse, card readers, and external hard drives all attached to make it the most versatile system possible. It worked great.

I retired in the fall of 2018; I still have that computer and used it while substitute teaching but found that it was becoming unreliable. I use a Lenovo Flex-4 laptop for teaching photography and when traveling to store and process my images in post. It has a touch screen and can be set up as a tablet as the keyboard rotates 360 degrees. Thinking this would be my new teaching tool, I researched and bought a stylus to write with. Although the computer itself is excellent I have to say that, as a writing platform, it is terrible. The stylus was nothing like my experience on the old HP and Surface 2 and produced only clunky block forms; it could not express details well.

It was time to get another device. I was so inspired by my other experiences that, when visiting Costco in Alberta, decided to buy a Surface 7 Pro (bottom left). It came as a kit complete with pen, keyboard, and case; all for the price of $1200. I felt it was a steep price to pay, but it would serve my needs both in the classroom and when I was teaching photography. I was in a euphoric state as I opened and assembled the box's contents. I ran all the updates, uploaded thousands of images and hundreds of documents and the software necessary to access them all. The stylus worked beautifully and duplicated my experience on the older machines. Everything was progressing nicely. Then I inserted a micro SD card into the appropriate slot as a way of increasing memory. I expected it to slip in nicely with that slight recoil you feel once the card is secure. Instead, it disappeared inside the machine. It was gone, it went completely out of sight.

As a computer-competent sexagenarian, I felt I was able to problem-solve this unforeseen mishap. Despite my attempts the card could not be retrieved. The thought of aggressively applying a pair of plyers crossed my mind, but the manufacturer would probably not look kindly upon me when I took it in for repair. I decided to contact customer care and see if they had a solution.

The term "customer care" is grossly misrepresented and should be relabeled "consumer avoidance". I tried texting, phoning, chatting, and submitting the issue online through the manufacturer's website. It turns out there is an indirect relationship between effort and patience. The more I tried the more frustrated I became. I finally had enough and took the whole thing back to a BC Costco and got my money back. I told the clerk that my card was stuck and left a message inside the box. I got an email a week later telling me they could not return it. Again, so much for customer care.

I still needed a solution. Determined not to buy a Microsoft product this time, I googled tablets and eventually decided to go with an Amazon Fire HD10 (top right). I buy a lot from Amazon and have developed a strong respect for their shipping and return policies. I ordered the tablet, a cover, a Bluetooth keyboard, and an active stylus that was guaranteed to be an improvement over my Lenovo. It all came within a day or two. The advantage of the Surface 7 was that it had video out and a USB 3.1 port. I need both of these for connecting to other devices. The Fire tablet comes only with a USB-C port. I had read that they can be used to export video (even HDMI) and can attach to a USB and card reading hub. The android device was going to be great.

Imagine my discouragement as I discovered that the Fire tablet could not attach to video. It also could not use a hub and access other memory cards, a problem for teaching photography as my students all use full-sized SD memory cards. Then there was the writing ability. The active stylus was an improvement over my Lenovo but still was clunky and not up to my expectations. Sorry to say, but the Fire tablet had to go back.

Then I had an epiphany. I discovered that London Drugs was having a Black Friday sale and I could go there with all my peripherals to see what worked. I bought my USB-C HDMI adapter, USB-C hub, and active stylus with me. While there I tried to use the Samsung Galaxy A7. It couldn't do video and the writing experience was about the same as the Fire tablet. Then I tried the Galaxy Tab S7. That was impressive. The video out worked fine. It came with its own stylus and the writing was as good as I hoped. The great problem was the price; at $900 it was exorbitant. Fortunately, the Black Friday sale reduced the price by $150. I purchased it, took it home, and set it up. So far, everything is working as well as I hoped. I haven't brought it to the classroom yet though. That will be the ultimate test.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment