Tiny puddle contains hundreds in different aquatic insects.

The composite above is a collection of four photos of, what was for me, part of an amazing experience. I quite enjoy hiking and exploring wild areas. On this particular day, I came across a branch of the Vedder River near Chilliwack. It had been hot and dry for a while; the river level was running low and many of the secondary channels had dried up. However, there was a spot I found where a small pool had remained. Each day it existed saw the area it covered become smaller and smaller. As the water evaporated or percolated through the sand and mud the creatures that depended on it were forced together. Instead of there being four or five insects per square foot of substrate there were four or five hundred.

You can see by my shadow in the first image that the pool is tiny. The red square shows the area I photographed which is to the right of it. In that tiny section of water are dozens of insect larvae. Most of them were stoneflies (bottom left) or mayflies (bottom right). I marveled at the concentration of life that I found; I have never made a find quite like it. I photographed the pool and some of the creatures inhabiting the tiny refuge. I was not in a position to do anything about it but decided that I would come back the next day and try to save what I could before the water dried up completely.

I keep a few pails and nets in my RV for capturing invertebrates to photograph and knew these would help in my quest. I arose early the next day and brought the equipment to the site where I hoped to rescue some of the trapped creatures. I often go out of my way to save an earthworm that finds itself stranded on a cement walkway or to capture a spider or fly that isn't welcome indoors. In my mind, this was no different; except that instead of a solidary redemption I would literally save hundreds. I felt quite strongly about this. I just had to do it.

Now, it is important to understand that my compassion for such lost or stranded creatures has a limit. While I may save one or two wayward earthworms or gently place a spider in a cup to release it, I am not excessive about it. I am well acquainted with fly swatters and have been known to skewer the odd worm when fishing. I try to find a balance between saving life and taking it. This situation demanded action; I was not about to let these creatures die if I could help it.

As I approached the vicinity I had visited the previous day my hopes were dashed. The puddle was gone; it had dried out completely. Not a solitary living thing was left. I felt quite sad at the fact that I was too late. I realized that this scenario must be played out thousands of times each year as river channels dry up. It does make me think though of the tremendous loss of life which must happen when we fell a tree, fill in a marsh, or pave a field. I realize that these things happen, both as a natural process and because of the expanding presence of man. Maybe we could be a bit more concerned with our fellow creatures that we share the Earth with. It is easy to take life; saving it takes considerably more work.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.