My gallery.

To get to my gallery page, click here.

Over the years I have collected quite a few photos. Certainly not compared to a professional photographer, especially in the sports world where a camera body can easily record 200,000 actuations in a single year. I am probably shooting somewhere between 5,000 to 10,000 images annually. This is well over the tally I was achieving during the years when I used slide and negative film; there I may have shot a maximum of 30 to 40 rolls in the same time period. I have gone digital since about 2002. My first DSLR was a Fuji S1-Pro, a 3-megapixel camera that cost well over $2000.

I take photos because I enjoy it. I was living in Kingston, Ontario between the ages of 12-16. I had an old Brownie which I used sporadically; the photos were not great but the memories they elicit are invaluable. I graduated high school in 1978 in the town of Sylvan Lake, Alberta. There, for a graduation gift, I got my first SLR camera. It was a Russian built Zenit that cost all of $88 from the local K-mart. It wasn't much, but it was the beginning of learning the nuances and art of photography.

I attended Red Deer College and, in my second year, joined the Bricklayer - the school's newspaper. That was to be a remarkable period in my life. A good freind introduced me to the darkroom and shared his intimate knowledge of the camera with me. Everything started to make sense. Enthusiastically I absorbed every detail that was shared. Slowly my photography improved. Equipment was an enormous issue. I worked at a local photography store and eventually upgraded to a Minolta system. My photography continued to improve as time and budget allowed. Looking back I realize that the stuff I was producing was mediocre at best, but I loved doing it.

Edmonton saw another change in my life and I finally got serious about equipment. I purchased an FE-2 in 1985. This was my camera until I upgraded to an F90-x some time in the '90s. Married now with children I began teaching photography. First, it was film based but transitioned to digital at the turn of the century. Although I still see film as a viable medium I have not used it since turning that corner. I have a background in computers which lent itself exceedingly well to understanding the new technology. My courses now revolve around all types of digital cameras and computer manipulation of the images.

I can say with some assurance that my equipment and methods have varied widely over the last 45 years. The thing that has remained constant though has been my passion for being behind the camera. I am as thrilled today as I way all that time ago when I was a boy with a simple Brownie.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.