Foreground objects enhance background vistas.

As a photographer, I believe in going to new places and exploring exciting environments to capture. I am always amazed at the beauty of our planet (and equally horrified at our destruction of it). After I find a landscape that captures my imagination I then turn my eye to things that will enhance the shot.

The first thing I do is to move along whatever access I have and see how the setting changes. I usually take a few photos in the process and check histograms and play with other settings. This way I will be fully prepared for the photo I hope to end up with.

Next, I look for possible foreground enhancements. This usually ends up being plant matter of some kind. It could be flowers, things that point or frame, and trees with character that stand out are always appreciated. Sometimes I will find rocks that fit the bill. When human elements are present, such as old barns or wooden fences, I like to include them in some augmentative fashion.

After I discover the foreground I then need to consider how it will interact with the background. I have always thought that a weak foreground underminds a strong background, and the reverse is also true. Make the foreground too strong and the background suffers. There is a balance, which requires movement, focal length adjustments, and depth of field considerations.

I will go into detail about these in another blog. Although anyone can take a picture, not everyone can make it look good. The camera, with its almost infinite settings, can be adjusted and positioned in a myriad of ways. Each photo will be different with a range of outcomes. The best ones will usually have taken many of the available variables into consideration.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.