A Muskrat Tale.

Although we have muskrats here in BC, I have never seen one. I lived in Alberta for 10 years and saw plenty of them. While visiting north of Edmonton I borrowed a kayak and went out on a lake for a paddle. There I had an unexpected encounter.

I had just finished a trip to the long end of the lake and had turned around to head back. Ahead of me, not 40 meters, a furry animal entered the water and proceeded to swim parallel to the shoreline going in the same direction. I wasn't immediatly sure what it was but as I gained on the hard swimming creature it dawned on me that it must be a muskrat. Beavers are larger, possess a wide, flat tail, and usually announce the presence of strangers with a loud slap of it on the water's surface just before disappearing leaving a trail of bubbles. This beast just kept swimming. I paddled quietly behind it, slowly gaining ground, or in this case, water. Once I was within about 3 meters it began to show signs of anxiety by diving under the water. I would wait for a moment and it soon would reappear and continue on its way. This happened several times. I can honestly say this was a new experience for me.

I formulated a plan. The next time it went under I pushed the boat hard and turned coming just ahead of where I thought the persistent muskrat would rise. Not to be disappointed, its head rose out of the water and it continued as before. I had my camera at the ready and took multiple images of it as it crossed right in front of my kayak less than a meter away. It looked at me and then returned to its expidition, heading to a destination only it knew. But I had my photos and my story. For me, that was enough. I pressed homeward with happy thoughts and better images.

Thanks for reading.     Ericspix     Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.