Dell on the west coast trail.

A very happy Dell on a creek-tram on the West Coast Trail.
I have been on the West Coast Trail twice; both of them with Dell in a sense.  I will explain that in a bit.

The first time was in 1996 (I think).  There was quite a group of us but the ones I remember were all Silks.  That included Dell, Charles, Lincoln, and Dell's daughter Jennifer.  We had a schedule and so was on a bit of a crunch to achieve a minimum distance each day.  Dell was the leader of us, not that anyone chose him or there was an election.  It was just assumed that he kept the group on track.

The most insane day, for me, was the third one where we hiked something akin to 23 km with full packs.  There are those who would scoff at such a feeble distance but it nearly took the life out of yours truly.  Dell did it all in stride; it seemed there was no slowing him down.  We made camp and my first official act was to curl up in a ball and make an attempt at recuperation.  After sleeping for a couple of hours I awoke to find a boisterous card game in full gear.  Dell was fully engaged.

It was a very hot summer with little rain.  Mud is usually a constant, but the weather had dried up most of the trails and hiking was good.  We had a choice to make.  Take the Adrenaline Surge Channel route which was a short cut or take the circuitous route around the back which represented a significant climb and distance.  I was still exhausted from my previous day's marathon.  I also was wearing my knee brace as the strain was taking its toll.  Dell decided to split the group in two.  I was to go up and around with one group and Dell would go across the Surge Channel with the other.

Just so that you understand, a surge channel involves a flat table of rock at sea level with a deep wave-cut channel bisecting it.  The channel ends at a vertical rock face complete with a waterfall.  Then only way across is a three inch ledge which is slippery with algae.  If you fall, you could be pulled into the channel and sucked underneath the ledge, never to bee seen again.  It is the place most people die in the park (click here for more information).

We went our separate ways, but I found I was alone - everyone else decided to go with Dell.  I could not find the entrance to the trail and ended up joining the other group.  Dell was "mad enough to chew neutronium" (a favourite Star Trek quote) and reamed me out royally.  Once he realized I was the sole member of the second group, he apologized.  That was Dell - full of passion and plans, bursting with anger when things went awry, yet able to apologise if he was in the wrong.

We finished the trip in the alotted time, although it is worth noting that Dell decided to do the extra 11 kilometer end.  We all came back safely, although I ended up with impetigo.  I can tell you my wife was not impressed (especially after giving it to my one year old daughter).

The second time I did the West Coast Trail was shortly after Dell's Funeral.  Charles brought a third of Dell's ashes with him.  We found a structure made out of driftwood on the beach.  We all agreed that it looked very "Dell-ish" and we placed them there after a brief ceremony.  Given how happy he was on the trail, it only seemed fitting.

Thanks for reading.   www.ericspix.com   Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.