Dell and practical jokes

Dell in a playful mood.
Dell had a good, albeit somewhat warped, sense of humour.  He was quite fond of light-hearted poking, the kind where you heap abuse on someone in jest without intending on hurting them.  He was observant, witty, and enjoyed banter with innuendo.  Sparring with words was always a challenge with him; it was hard to get the better of him.

He tended towards spontaneous silliness.  He would notice something in any random situation and look for a way to get a rise out of it.  This wasn't all the time, of course, as Dell had a serious side and a strong work ethic.  When the mood struck him though, he could be playful in bizarre and unique ways only Dell could get away with.

My first real memory of this happened when his brother, Charles, introduced his new girlfriend to Dell.  It was early winter and there were six inches of fresh snow on the ground.  Most of us would greet this new person with polite salutations and welcome them in for some civil conversation.  Not Dell.  He picked up the young lady, who fought with great protests, took her outside, and filled her pants with snow.  She was screaming the whole time and his helpless brother just stood by, probably wondering if this was the end of a beautiful relationship.

Then there were the stories I had heard.  It seems my good-natured friend Charles was often the butt of Dell's obscure sense of fun.  While taking a bath one time, shower curtain drawn, his brother threw in a bucket of dirt.  While living in a rented house, he would sneak into his victim's bedroom and rouse him with a variety of spirited jostlings.  It could be water, an impromptu Charlie horse (aptly named), or an old fashioned dragging-you-out-of-bed kind of action.  While his brother never appreciated the enthusiasm which Dell showed at the time, their relationship was always one of great affection.  In many ways, Charles was Dell's best friend.

I have one memory that I am particularly fond of.  Charles and I were at Dell's place playing cards, something which occurred with frequent joviality.  I have very short fingernails and the ends of my fingers protrude beyond the nail (yes, I bite my nails).  Dell noticed this while we were playing and picked up his coffee cup and brought it down quite hard on the little button at the end of my digit with remarkable accuracy.  I pulled my hand back while uttering a stunned "Eeeep" sound and he was quite pleased with himself.  Knowing not to return the favour with Dell (tit for tat squared law), I attempted to do the same thing with one of Charles' fingers.  My aim wasn't nearly so good though and I pounded him square on the top of his fingernail.  The cries of pain and "Ooooooh, Ooooooh"s that rushed forth was nothing short of spectacular.  Dell, of course, found this hilarious, being a form of slap-stick humour at its finest.  The point was further driven home when, a week later, Charles lost the blackened nail.

Unfortunately, Dell's playfulness would sometimes create a problem and not be taken in the lite-hearted manner it was intended.  He was strong and often not cognizant of his power; he occasionally just overdid it.  Many of us have been bruised and a little worse for wear after Dell was finished attempting to have some fun.  One time he gave me a Charlie horse in my leg that made me lame for a week.  Then there was the time he put cayenne pepper into my hot chocolate.  I can tell you I didn't laugh at that.

Dell was a world-class practical joker.  His playful moods were always indicative of his wit and character, but sometimes just way over the top.  Yet, I remember him for who he was and miss that side of him that would, on occasion, make me squeal.

Thanks for reading.   www.ericspix.com   Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.