I am a rock, I am an island.

A solitary tree adorning a tiny island on Dutch Lake in Clearwater, BC.
The title of this blog, inspired by Simon and Garfunkle's iconic song, reflects the internal state I sometimes feel.  The sense that I am alone manifests itself occasionally as I reflect on the condition of the world around me and things I have experienced.  The song itself speaks of someone who has been hurt deeply and has chosen to isolate themself from others emotionally so as to not feel that pain and anguish.  This is where my own experience and the song's expressive language part as it leads to bitterness; something which I try not to be burdened by.

Let me assure my readers that I have experienced debilitating pain in my life.  Significant childhood trauma, betrayal by loved friends, the loss of family and friend by suicide, and when I was much younger the rejection of my proposal to wed by someone I saw building a life with.  I have had plenty of reason to be bitter and, for a time, was expressing that sentiment indirectly through anger and depression.  Although not alone by a long shot, there were times that it seemed that way.

Dwelling on the negative only embraces the pain; it robs the possibility of joy from life.  Forgiveness of wrongs committed, recognition of the human condition that dwells in all of us, and embracing life instead of mourning it leads to self-redemption.  I am not saying to not feel pain as the song's character proposes but to grieve for a period and then move on.  I think that the island analogy has some merit but consider for a moment what happens when the waters of despair recceed.

Imagine for a moment that the island in the above photo is someone after a serious event.  If the waters feeding the lake or river are kept at a high level the island will continue.  This requires a conscious effort though as it is normal for these to come down over time.  Eventually, a bridge to the isolated landmass will occur as a peninsula develops.  It is true that in some cases the amount of receding must be significant as the flooding of pain has been intensive.

The process happens in nature through evaporation, reduced flow, and erosion of barriers.  Man facilitates lower water levels by opening spillways, redirecting currents, or building bridges.  The metaphor extends to someone in pain because time and love have a way of achieving connections.  If I choose to keep waters high around my virtual island it is me that suffers the most.  I have to forgive.  I have to recognize the nature of humanity.  I have to embrace life at the moment and plan for the future.

None of this is easy, but it is a choice and it is possible.  See the love others have for you.  Look for good instead of bad.  Forgive those that have hurt you.  Eventually, that island will turn into a peninsula and eventually it will be a high point of land around the surrounding area.  Imagine that, the island became a hill.  Isn't that amazing?

Thanks for reading.   www.ericspix.com   Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Happy to be alive - enjoy the moment