The Northern Shoveler

The Northern Shoveler in flight.
OK, so it's not one of my better photographs.  I am doing a blog on this shot because there is value in what it allows you to do.  Often, when in nature, the opportunity to capture an image is fleeting at best, in this case literally.  There may be only a glimpse of a creature; mere seconds to see it, identify it, and learn something about it.  Distance, cover, or disappearing down a burrow or under the water can often thwart understanding what it was that I just experienced. 

For some odd reason, I have a deep-seated need to know what something is when I look at it.  This applies only to creatures I find in the wild.  Plants usually don't hold my interest and zoos or conservatories have signs or fact sheets to help in the process.  I think I have thirty or so field guides on every organism likely to be found in North America.  Birds, insects, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, fish, sea creatures of all sorts, and even things to be found under a microscope all await my discovery. 

What I like about the above photo is that it allowed me to verify what I saw.  A medium-sized duck with a large bill and chestnut-brown belly.  When I saw the pair flying away I immediately thought, "Northern Shoveler."  But I wasn't sure.  I don't have iBird and usually don't bring a field guide with me (I used to have one handy all the time, but it drove my wife crazy because I would stand around trying to figure out what it was I just saw).  However, a quick snap with the camera and I could determine it for sure when I got home.  No standing around hunting through endless pages while trying to remember the details of what something looked like.

Later, back at home in the comfort of my chair in my "man cave," I verified my suspicions.  I had thought the Northern Shoveler was a rare find, but it turns out they are relatively common.  I guess they populate areas infrequently accessed by man.  If you want to read up more on them you can click here

Thanks for reading.   www.ericspix.com   Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.