Portland Island, the last of the Gulf Islands.

A lonely tree guarding the shores of  Portland Island.
Sea kayaking is one of those things which causes in me both great excitement and trepidation simultaneously.  Although I have never skydived (also known as jumping out of a perfectly good airplane), I can imagine there being a similar sense of euphoria and pending doom.  The mood swings which comes upon the ocean ranges from calm to cataclysmic. 

On a beautiful day, like in the above photo, the ocean yields spectacular vistas and invitations to explore coves and caves alike.  The beaches themselves entice exploration.  Flotsam and jetsam demand perusing while an endless variety of life hiding in the tide pools awaits discovery.  It all seems idyllic.

The calamitous side of the ocean is well documented.  Huge waves put kayakers in peril, tides and currents have to be managed; having a copy of tide tables is crucial.  I have been out in thick fog and had difficulty in seeing my colleagues only a few feet away; navigating by faith is not one of my strong suits.  Yet for all the risk that it presents there is the eternal wooing and allure to venture onto its vast surface.

There is one truth I have come upon over the years.  Where fear rules there is no life, and yet it is fear that prevents stupidity from exercising its folly.  As with so many other things there is a balance between the two extremes.  Know before you go, go with people you trust, and it is OK to be a little afraid.  I have found that my confidence in pursuing such goals has grown over the years.  I have always paired myself with others who knew more and were more confident than myself.  In the process, I am more likely to embark on an adventure than I am to forgo it.

If you find yourself wanting to do something but are too afraid to try, consider my words above.  Every day not lived is a lost opportunity.  Do your research, talk to others with experience, and step out of your comfort zone.  The rewards are well worth it.

Thanks for reading.  www.ericspix.com   Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.