Kayak, Canoe, or Paddleboard?

Kayaking on Vermillion Lake in Banff National Park, Alberta.
I went out this morning for "a paddle" on a nearby waterway on one of my kayaks.  I am fortunate in that there are a dozen lakes, rivers, creeks, and other bodies of water within twenty minutes of where I live.  A little further gets me to saltwater.  While paddling along I met two other similar-minded people, one in a canoe and the other on a paddleboard.

That was it, just the three of us, on the water, traveling along the fluid highway without a care in the world.  Getting out on the water, regardless of method, is an excellent way to relax and enjoy the surroundings.  It is also a great chance to see nature.  I was not disappointed as this morning I saw two bald eagles, several pairs of common mergansers, herons, swallows, and one beaver that came surprisingly close to my boat. 

I talked with my fellow oarsmen in passing and we discussed boats of choice.  Since each of us was in a different genre of aquatic vessel, it was clear we had all picked something to suit our needs.  I like the kayak because I can sit close to the water with my legs outstretched and I have decks with hatches.  It also allows me to paddle on both sides while sitting in the middle.  My canoe colleague liked the openness of the boat and his ability to include his wife and children should they wish to join him.  The paddleboarder spent a lot of time sitting for work and loved the chance to both stand and be on the water simultaneously. 

We all agreed though that the preferred mode of transport was highly dependent upon circumstances.  Canoes allow multiple people (17' or better) and can carry large loads easily.  They are highly affected by wind though and require special paddling techniques.  Kayaks are single person only, unless you have a tandem, and there is a significant limit to the size and amount of goods you can bring on any excursion.  Paddleboards do not handle well in rough water, you have to stand, and they have limited storage capacity.

As with anything, each has its own advantages and drawbacks.  If you are in the market for something like this, do your research first.  There are many places where you can rent a canoe, kayak, or paddleboard to get some practical experience should you be lacking it, and some proprietary boating stores can let you try multiple models according to your whims.  Western Canoe and Kayak in Abbotsford is such a place.  I have bought most of my boats there, both kayak and canoe.

Whatever your decision, you will find that being on the water was worth the effort and expense.  Although they all have their differences, they all give you that same sense of freedom and adventure.  Maybe the type of vessel is less important than just getting something.  Once you are hooked, you will find your needs will likely change anyway.  They certainly have with me.

Thanks for reading.   www.ericspix.com   Eric Svendsen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.