Double Happiness from Red Rock Canyon

A Chinese Tourist I met while hiking Red Rock Canyon near Las Vegas.
Believe it or not, I am shy.  Or, at least I was.  As a young person I made my way through life by hiding in the shadows.  The combination of being small, odd, and socially awkward painted a bulls eye on my back so large that I am sure the Apollo 11 astronauts commented on it on their way back home after the moon landing.  I can just imagine it; "Houston, there appears to be a large red and white circular area somewhere in southern Ontario, over." 

My shyness was a two edged sword, as so many things tend to be.  It was a good news/bad news thing.  The good news was that it allowed me to find my passion for animals and the wilds; the bad news was I was nominated for hermit of the year award.  It was like that all the way through the school system until my second year of college.  There I met some amazing people who saw value in me as a person and the target became invisible.  Suddenly, I was important.

It was then that my passion for photography began in earnest.  After graduating with a degree in science I took work in the field of photography - sales.  There is nothing like being forced to greet the public and render service to them based upon their wants and needs to bring one out of their shell.  I worked for a dozen companies all over Alberta and became very comfortable with talking to strangers as if they were friends.  Five years later I was married and began my teaching career.

If sales was my introduction to affability and gregariousness, then teaching was the final exam.  There I learned to talk to everyone, anyone.  While traveling I have learned to use those now honed skills to meet others and, on occasion, to photograph them.  Such was the case for the young lady in the above photo.  I met a group of young Asians and ended up getting quite a few shots of them posing.  I later emailed the processed images to them, very much like the one shown.

I can say with complete confidence that, without the help I have had over the years, I could not have availed myself of such an opportunity.  To all those who made me who I am today, thanks.  You know who you are.

Thanks for reading.   www.ericspix.com   Eric Svendsen


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.