Capturing a moment - a cabin in Idaho


This is one of my favourite photos.  I took it in 2007 outside of a cabin in Idaho. The setting sun had an appealing warmth about it and the rustic cabin I found was a perfect subject.  I loved the way that the sun reflected off the cabin's window and wanted to capture the rich tones, lines, and knots before me.  

While taking a photograph employs the simplest of movements - the pressing of a single button - correct placement and the internal settings of the camera are much more complex.  One of the key elements is getting out.  As a certified couch-rider and television surfer, tearing myself away from indoor comforts takes more effort than I would care to admit.  My camera helps to motivate me.  Not only do I get outside, I manage to explore and do one of my favourite things; take pictures.

Throughout my many blogs (662 and counting - most are accessible through this website: blogsbyericsvendsen.blogspot.com) I have demonstrated methods of composition and using existing light to your advantage.  If you want to improve your photography skills, you have to consider what is necessary.  Generally, this means doing some, or all, of these things:

  • read material on taking photographs.  Learn the language of photographers.
  • consider using reasonable equipment; a camera with interchangeable lenses is highly suggested (although not necessary).
  • examine photos that you have recently taken and critique them.  What was good, what could you improve on?
  • spend time with others who enjoy taking photos; chances are they will have invaluable thoughts on how to improve.
  • think about what type of photos you enjoy taking the most.  Build equipment and expertise in that area.
  • pay attention to the settings on your camera.  It is essential that you get off "Auto" mode and get into P (program), A (aperture priority), or M (manual) modes.  
  • play around with your camera settings.  No, you won't break your camera, you can always go back to the original settings by doing a factory reset.
  • take lots of pictures and have fun.  
Photography is a hobby that has changed my life and given me a direction that I would have otherwise not had.  I can only hope that there is something I have done, written, or said that has made a difference to others.

Thanks for reading.

Eric Svendsen     www.ericspix.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hang in there, things will get better.

Working out life's problems.

Dastardly Dachshund Destroys Fabrics.